Mousse de Maracujá (Passion Fruit Mousse)
For those with a sweet tooth like myself and love the unique taste of Passion Fruit, look no further. Mousse de Maracujá is in my opinion this is absolutely one of the best desserts in Brazilian cuisine, although I am probably biased because of my love for Maracuja. To find this delicious fruit, go to either Portuguese, South American, or Asian food markets, and you will typically find it. This dish combines the unbelievable texture and richness of a mousse with the tangy and unique taste of the Passion fruit. It is actually quite easy to make, so try it out, and tell us what you think!
1 cup strained fresh passion fruit juice, seeds reserved (about 18 passion fruits), or frozen passion fruit puree
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 can (1 and 1/4 cups) unsweetened condensed milk
1 cup sugar
8 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1) If using fresh passion fruit juice, place the passion fruit seeds in a blender or food processor and liquefy at a fast count of 1-2-3, so the broken seeds don’t blacken the remaining juice.
2) Strain the liquid into the juice and discard the seeds.
3) In a small nonreactive saucepan, heat 1/4 cup of juice with the gelatin and dissolve over low heat.
4) Add to the remaining juice and stir in the condensed milk and 1/2 cup of sugar.
5) Reserve, stirring from time to time.
6) Beat the egg whites and the salt with an electric beater. When the mixture begins to whiten and stiffen, gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff and glossy.
7) Add a large spoonful of meringue to the passion fruit mixture and combine thoroughly.
8) Fold in the remaining meringue with a spatula, making sure not to overmix.
9) Some streaks of white should show. Pour the mixture into a large glass serving bowl and place in the freezer for 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
10) Fresh passion fruit can sometimes separate and settle in the bottom of the bowl. Fold again once or twice after the first half hour of freezing if it should separate.
Serve and enjoy!
*You can make a passion fruit sauce to pour on top of the mousse, but it is just more work, you can make the sauce with this Passion Fruit sauce recipe*